Monday, December 3, 2012

Preparing for Winter

So, guess what? The last 8 days of this 10-day forecast. That's what:

That's a lotta snowmen...
It's already snowed here a few times since I arrived. Even when the snow stuck, it never left a layer thicker than 2 inches. It always melted within the next 2-3 days when the sun came up.

Aomori's first snow this winter: pretty but fleeting.

I've been okay with the cooling temperatures so far. Even the last time I was biking home at night, I didn't really feel that cold while I passed a roadside thermometer flashing "2 C". The rain hasn't been that bad either, and I've gotten more used to biking on wet roads. I've been hanging in there alright, but this weather forecast only makes me feel one thing.


As a Southern Californian, I've been wary of Aomori's colder seasons. I've heeded the warning of fellow JETs, and I'm taking every precaution. I've loaded up on enough kerosene to power my heater for the next 2 months. I've bought new insulated jackets, waterproof pants, neck warmers, and burly socks. I've invested in a nicer pair of snow boots that go up almost to my knees. And, most importantly, I've added lots of long underwear to my wardrobe. You may laugh, but I promise you, this stuff is going to safe my life. You may think I'm exaggerating, but the winters here get pretty bad. Here's a photo I took from a friend who's been here for a lot longer than I have:

"I don't need a cell phone for travel," my sister said. "I'll just call you from a payphone," she said. Good luck with that. You may need to swim into there...
All I can do now is await the snow and do my best to fight cabin fever. Goodbye, and may the gods have mercy on my soul.

2 comments:

  1. If I throw salt on that thing, how long would it take to melt?
    Lol, so this is how you were ridiculing me in your head. And as long as you're in the positive celsius, it's not THAT cold. But most importantly, SNOW!! It's been too warm here, so I may not get a practice day before our ski trip :(
    What do the A's and B's mean on the weather forecast?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The A's and B's are just categories of accuracy. "A" means highly likely, "B" means somewhat likely, and "C" means somewhat unknown.

    ReplyDelete